Why I love working with young people!

11:18 AM

A room full of smiles after teaching a sultry and super fun lesson in Guinea's flirtation dance of Yankady -- at Riverside City College in California.


My recent master class at Riverside City College in California has me well convinced that the next generation is on its way to creating some of the greatest thinkers and creators of all time. My students exuded an unprecedented sense of confidence, initiative, and leadership as they dove into my advanced lesson for the day.

Reflecting a tremendous array of nationalities and backgrounds, my students found common ground in the African rhythms. And as we ripped into Yankady, the full-moon, flirtation dance of the Sousou people of Guinea, my students revealed personalities and dance moves both fearless and utterly focused!

And this is why I love working with young people, and helping build their dreams. There is a light in their eyes and a believability in their bodies that vaporizes  limits, and inspires creativity.

More and more, I see how African Dance is so important to the development of young people. African Dance choreography activates the human spirit, compelling people to push beyond the average or the mundane. The complexity and rigour of the dance demands a "no guts, no glory" life philosophy, which builds strength. Through improvisational exercises, African dance helps kids break the habit of seeking approval before making a move. Best of all, African music teaches us how to stay connected to the pulse of life, but also, how to generate the very pulse of life!

I am forever thankful for the opportunity to be in a room of young people -- myself included. For once class is over, I have every confidence we are going to remake this world using the best of what we've got!

-- Malena


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Archive: Popular Posts