Touring with Cirque Zuma Zuma & the Age of African Dance!

9:45 PM


This February, I had the incredible honor of touring with Cirque Zuma Zuma, one of the most exciting African acrobatic, music, & dance companies on the planet. For the first time, I worked with the world’s top mind-boggling acrobats, I’m talking epic pole-climbers, super jugglers, head-standers, limboers, and flippers, hailing from Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania! Throughout our wild and gut-wrenching showcase, I provided the circus’ break-neck West African dancing, which I realized was quite the acrobatic achievement on its own. I joined a mighty troupe of dancers to also perform the South African gumboot dance & the high-kicking throbbing Zulu dance. 


VIDEO: Demo lesson backstage of Zuma Zuma



Because I was in the company of acrobats, I had to amplify my movement like never before! Because I was with a circus, I pushed myself to dance with more velocity & precision than ever, to ensure each step was a miracle of superior human expression and entertainment. The entire experience required a whole new level of artistry, but not only that, showmanship, creativity, and sheer energy.

The West African dance we performed was Soli, a rites of passage dance for young men and their mothers, from Guinea, West Africa. Having learned the steps from my teacher Grandmaster Moustapha Bangoura and friend Rayshunda Childs, I choreographed the Soli, not letting up a single breath, blasting through the limits of speed and strength. Performing day after day, show after show, our feet dared not touch the ground as we whisked through the Soli and blistering solos that yanked clouds from the sky and fire from the core of the earth. My cohorts Nafi Diabate, master dancer from Guinea, and Falosha Martin, star dancer from New York, gave ample performances, shocking all with stunning footwork, grace, and intricacy.

Besides the unbelievable performances, what impressed me the most was the sheer volume of patrons we had the privilege of entertaining. In just 1 month, our first leg of the tour, we performed for no less than 20 main theaters in 10 states from Texas to Wisconsin, New Mexico to Arkansas, bedazzling thousands and thousands of circus-goers. My first national tour, Zuma Zuma is sheer proof of the relentless demand for African music and dance entertainment. The estatic patrons that stormed the stage after each Zuma Zuma who is proof that we have truly entered the Age of African Dance! And in this age, we will see African dance go places and do things which will simply inspire millions!

One woman after our show in Alabama had to hug me. She, like many patrons, said they hadn’t seen anything like Soli, like the Zulu dance, like the flying and jumping acrobats.  So moved, the woman pulled off her bracelet, a clunky multi-colored bangle with “Love” written all over it, and placed it right in my hand. “Here, keep this. I love you!”  The patrons hugged the performers and I, took picture after picture, laughed, talked and celebrated our performance with a zeal that could warm any heart.

At least once a week, a very shy girl or boy would come up to me, mouth sealed but eyes twinkling so bright. Before Zuma Zuma, I was absolutely proud to be an African dancer. Now after the first leg of the tour, I’m over the moon proud, and ready to spread the African dance fever even wider, seeing to it that every city, every state, every child and every dreamer has a chance to African dance! Has a chance to Add Life!

-- Malena

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Archive: Popular Posts